Based on the popular sundae served at Brooklyn Farmacy and Soda Fountain, this unique sundae has vanilla ice cream, potato chips, peanut butter and caramel.
- 1 cup (8 oz) water
- 3 cups (24 oz) cane sugar
- 1/4 cup (3 oz) honey
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (4 oz) scoop of vanilla ice cream
- 1 (2 oz) scoop of vanilla ice cream
- 1 oz of salted kettle-style potato chips, slightly crushed
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup sweetened whipped cream
Make the caramel sauce:
- Pour the water into a large, heavy saucepan with high sides. Add the sugar in a stream to the middle of the water, being careful to keep the sugar in the middle of the pan to avoid sugar crystals forming on the edges of the pan. Pour the honey into the middle of the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil without stirring. Cook until it becomes a dark amber color or when it registers 305F on a candy thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes. If any scum forms on the surface, use a spoon to scrape it off.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/2 cup of the cream. The mixture will bubble and spit, so stand back and allow it to settle for a moment before adding the remaining cream. Whisk until the cream is incorporated, then start adding the butter, 3 to 4 pieces at a time, whisking for 10-15 seconds before adding more butter. Continue to whisk until the butter is melted and incorporated. Add in the vanilla and salt.
- Store in glass jars in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. This recipe makes 4 cups, but you will only need 1/4 cup for each serving of the sundae recipe.
Make the sundae:
- Place the 4 oz. scoop of ice cream in the middle of a bowl. Top with the 2 oz. scoop. Place the potato chips around the ice cream. If needed, microwave the peanut butter in 10 second increments until it is pourable, then pour over the ice cream. Top with the caramel sauce, then the whipped cream. Serve immediately.
slightly adapted from The Soda Fountain