This creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is made with broccoli, carrots, and plenty of cheese! This version uses real, grated cheddar for lots of cheesy flavor.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups milk
- 4 broccoli crowns, cut into tiny florets (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add in the carrot and cook a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook until the mixture is thickened.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Whisk in the milk, then stir in the broccoli. Cover the pan an cook until the broccoli is softened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, cream cheese and cheddar cheese and allow it to heat through and for the cheese to melt. Whisk to remove any clumps.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.
Recipe from Everyday Ingredients Extraordinary Meals
SUBSTITUTIONS: For a lighter soup, you can use milk instead of cream and light cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese. The soup won’t be as rich or thick, but will still be delicious!
FREEZE: I don’t recommend freezing this soup because of how much dairy is in it.
STORE: Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat gently on the stove or in the microwave.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 635
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 923 mg
- Fat: 50 g
- Saturated Fat: 29 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 156 mg
Keywords: broccoli cheddar soup, broccoli cheddar soup recipe, broccoli and cheddar soup