Breakfast worth waking up for! This Blueberry Banana French Toast Bake has fresh bananas and blueberries baked in a fuss-free French toast breakfast that the whole family will go bananas for.
- 2–3 bananas, sliced
- 1 loaf (16 oz) soft French bread, cubed into 1-inch cubes
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- maple syrup, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Layer the bananas in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the cubed French bread.
- In a bowl or a large measuring cup, combine the eggs, milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teapsoons cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Whisk to combine. Pour the mixture evenly over the French bread. Use your hands to press down on the bread to make sure that every piece is soaked with the milk mixture, turning the pieces over if necessary. (Be gentle to make sure the bananas stay at the bottom of the baking dish.)
- Spread the blueberries over the top of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the egg mixture has set and the blueberries are bursting, about 45-55 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with maple syrup.
slightly adapted from Delicious Mornings