Sugar cones are coated in chocolate and then filled with berries and cream for a red, white and blue dessert that is fun and fruity.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- grated peel from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon, divided
- 1/4 pound fresh cherries, halved and pitted, plus 10 more for garnish
- 1 pint mixed berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
- 6 ounces milk, semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- 10 sugar cones
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, the lemon peel and 1 to 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice. Refrigerate.
- In another bowl, combine the halved cherries, the mixed berries, the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 to 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Refrigerate.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate starts to melt. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Using a spoon, coat the insides of the cones with the chocolate. Place cones on a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper on a baking sheet, and refrigerate until chocolate is set – about 15 minutes.
- To serve, place a dollop of sour cream mixture in each cone, followed by some berries. Add another dollop of the sour cream mixture and garnish with a whole cherry.
adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray June/July 2007