These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Coconut combine so many flavors for a breakfast muffin that the kids go crazy for. These muffins are a great way to use up overripe bananas!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried, sweetened coconut*, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 12** muffin tins with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together the sugar, melted butter, vanilla and egg.
- Peel the bananas and mash them. Add them to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the coconut.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a bit of extra coconut over the top of each and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake until the muffins are golden brown and baked through, 22-30 minutes.
*you can use unsweetened coconut if you’d like, as well.
*I usually fill the cups a little fuller to make 12 muffins to fit one pan, but you can fill the cups a little less and stretch it to 15 muffins, as well.
Recipe from A Week of Menus
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 93 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
Keywords: banana chocolate chip muffins, banana muffins, banana muffins with chocolate chips