Soft banana cookies are filled with chocolate chips. These Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect use for overripe bananas.
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (213 g) brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (227 g) mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (330 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter together until creamy. Add the eggs and continue to beat. Mix in the mashed banana and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until almost combined. Add the chocolate chips and continue to mix until you can no longer see any dry spots.
- Scoop the dough onto the baking sheet. I like to use a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop. Place at least 2 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the edges have browned, 10-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for about a minute before removing to a cooling rack or a sheet of parchment paper to cool completely.
SUBSTITUTIONS: If using salted butter, cut back on the salt to 1/4 teaspoon. Other flavors of baking chips can be used instead of semi-sweet.
FREEZE: The dough for these cookies is quite wet and soft, so if you are wanting to freeze the cookies, you’ll want to freeze them once baked. Place the cooled cookies on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until frozen, then transfer to a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag. Thaw by placing the cookies at room temperature. They may get a little sticky once thawed, so it is best to thaw them in a single layer.
STORE: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 71 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 19 mg
Keywords: banana chocolate chip cookies