The perfect holiday treat, these Baked Peppermint Donuts are not only topped with crushed candy canes, but the donuts are lightly flavored with peppermint.
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3–4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the butter and oil. Add in the sugar and stir until combined. Lightly beat the eggs, then stir them into the mixture with the peppermint extract.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir 1/3 of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, followed by half of the buttermilk. Repeat with another 1/3 of the flour, the remaining buttermilk, then the remaining flour, stirring just until combined after each addition. The batter will be quite thick – thicker than a cake batter, but thinner than a cookie dough.
- Pour the batter into a large ziplock bag. Snip off the corner and pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling each cavity about 2/3 full. (My donut pan only makes 6 at a time, so I can only cook 6 at a time.)
- Bake the donuts until they spring back when touched, 7-9 minutes. Let the donuts cool completely.
- To make the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of cream and the vanilla. Add more cream if needed.
- Place the crushed candy canes on a plate or in a shallow bowl. Dip the donuts into the glaze, then immediately into the candy canes.