A healthier alternative to the well known fried Chicken Parmesan, this Baked Chicken Parmesan is crispy and juicy and will leave you just as satisfied!
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 3 (8-10 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup prepared marinara (homemade or store-bought)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray a cooling rack with nonstick cooking spray and set it over a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Place the bread in a food processor or blender and process until you have fine crumbs. Pour the crumbs into a shallow bowl and add the 1/4 cup Parmesan, parsley, paprika, garlic powder and thyme. Mix to combine.
- Pour the buttermilk into a separate shallow bowl.
- With a sharp knife, butterfly open each of the chicken breasts (cutting them open like a book), cutting each into 2 thinner pieces of chicken, for a total of 6 pieces. Dip each piece into the buttermilk, then into the breadcrumb mixture, using your hands to adhere the crumbs to the chicken if needed. Transfer to the cooling rack in a single layer.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve topped with the marinara and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Keep it healthy by serving the chicken on top of a bed of spaghetti squash.