American Lasagna – A delicious lasagna recipe made with ground beef and sausage, with a little bit of brown sugar to give it something special.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 12 dry lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling on the top
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic; drain fat. Mix in basil, oregano, brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, and cook until al dente. Drain the noodles and lay flat on paper towels to dry.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Spread a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles in the bottom of the dish. Cover noodles with 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat. Top with remaining noodles and sauce, then the remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake in the preheated oven 45-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- If making the day before, refrigerate after assembling the lasagna, before baking it. Add an additional 15 minutes to the cook time.
adapted from allrecipes.com