- 8 slices bacon
- 2 green or very under-ripe, firm tomatoes
- flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs or egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- canola oil, for shallow frying
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated onion and it’s juice
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cove garlic, grated or pasted
- a few tablespoons minced fresh chives
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 slider rolls
- 1 head Bibb or butter lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lay the bacon on a slotted pan and bake in the oven until crisp – 15 to 18 minutes.
- Trim the tops and the bottoms off of the tomatoes. Slice each tomato into 4 rounds, no more than 1/2-inch thick. Put the tomatoes on doubled paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit for a few minutes to let the excess moisture drain. Season with pepper.
- Set up 3 shallow bowls. In the first, put the flour. Put the eggs in the second and mix the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and parsley in the third.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Dredge the tomatoes in the flour, then dip them in the egg, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Cook in the heated oil for a few minutes on each side, until crisp. Cool on a cooling rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat with the grated onion, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper. Form into 8 equal patties. Heat a large griddle or non-stick skillet and cook the patties a few minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, chives and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add in a dash or 2 two of hot sauce, if desired.
- Assemble the burgers: Place the burger on the bun bottom. Top with bacon, lettuce, a slice of fried green tomato and some sour cream sauce. Top with the bun top and serve!
Rachael Ray Show