Salty, sweet and savory, this Asian Ginger Chicken Salad is the perfect lunch or easy dinner. Filled with mandarin oranges, chow mein noodles, cashews, ginger marinated chicken and much more, this salad is filling and crave-worthy!
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced or grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 4 oz fresh spinach, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 5 oz fresh romaine, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cups chow mein noodles
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup salted cashews, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, ginger, soy sauce, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade into a large ziplock bag. Cover and refrigerate the remaining marinade.
- Cut each of the chicken breasts open width-wise, creating two thinner breast pieces from each breast. Place the chicken in the bag with the marinade and turn to coat. Place the bag in a larger bowl to prevent leaking, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the chicken on the foil; discard the remaining marinade in the bag. Place the chicken 4-6 inches under the broiler to cook, about 4-6 minutes per side, until cooked through (internal temperature is 165ºF.) Cut the chicken into strips.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, romaine, oranges, chow mein noodles, cabbage, carrots and green onions. Top with the chicken, cashews and sesame seeds. Add the remaining marinade and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Taste of Home September/October 2015
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 533 mg
- Fat: 41 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 49 mg
Keywords: Asian chicken salad