Apples and bacon are combined to make a delicious savory with a touch of sweet appetizer. These Apple Bacon Pinwheels are perfect for entertaining.
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury Crescent Rolls or Crescent Recipe Creations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the bacon in a skillet and cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, reserving the bacon grease in the skillet. Add the onions to the grease and cook over medium heat to soften, 3-5 minutes. Add in the apples and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Add the bacon back in. Pour the apple cider over and cook until the apples have started to soften, 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- If using crescent rolls, unroll the dough and separate into 2 long rectangles. Pinch together the perforations to seal. If using the dough sheet, unroll into one big rectangle.
- Spread the apple and bacon mixture evenly over the top of the dough. Starting at the short end, roll up. Using a serrated knife, cut the roll(s) into 12 equal slices. Place on a baking sheet, cut side down.
- Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
*If you don’t have any apple cider on hand, you can substitute in water.
*You can make the filling a day ahead of time. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.