American Italian all-Amatriciana – an American version of a traditional Italian tomato sauce. This version is made with bacon and fire roasted tomatoes and is served over pasta.
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6–12 slices lean peppered bacon, chopped (amount depends on preference)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- black pepper
- handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- Heat water to boil for pasta, season with salt and cook pasta to al dente.
- Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan.
- Add bacon and crisp 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic cook to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in stock then tomatoes and season with pepper to taste.
- Simmer sauce 15 minutes.
- Toss pasta with sauce and parsley.
- Serve with grated sharp white Cheddar.
slightly adapted from 30 Minute Meals