Almond Cupcakes with Fresh Cherry Frosting – Moist almond cupcakes made from scratch are topped with a light and fluffy cherry buttercream, made from fresh cherries.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Fresh Cherry Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 18- muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl in between additions. Beat in the almond extract. Add one-third of the flour mixture, beat to combine, then half of the buttermilk. Add another one-third of the flour, the remaining buttermilk, then the remaining flour. Beat just until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full of the batter. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined. Beat in the salt and the almond extract, then turn the mixer to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the cherries and any juices that may have accumulated. Beat on low until combined, then turn to medium-high and beat an additional 2-3 minutes. The frosting should be light and creamy and smooth.
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes. Top with an additional cherry, if desired.
Keywords: almond cupcakes, fresh cherry frosting