The secret is in the caramelized onions! This French Onion Soup Recipe will show you that making a restaurant worthy soup at home is easier than you thought!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pounds yellow onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 baguette, cut into slices
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- In a large, heavy soup pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat the onions. Continue to cook, stirring every 5-10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. You want to make sure to stir them often enough so that they don’t burn, but you don’t want to stir them too often because then they won’t caramelize. If they ever seem to get to dry and start to burn, you can add a little bit of extra oil.
- When they start to get brown, stir in the garlic. Continue to cook the onions until they are a dark, golden, rich brown color. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Stir in the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in about 1/2 cup of the beef broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining beef broth. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Cook until warmed through.
- Heat the oven to 450ºF.
- Divide the soup between 4 oven safe bowls. Top each with a slice of baguette or two, depending on the size of your baguette and bowl, then top with 1/4 of the shredded gruyere.
- Place all of the bowls on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm, but be careful because the bowl will be very hot coming out of the oven.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 1244 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 14 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 48 mg
Keywords: french onion soup, french onion soup recipe,