A perfect way to celebrate America – these Red and Blue Velvet Cake Pops are sweet and patriotic.
Welcome to 4th of July Week here on Taste and Tell! All week, I’ll be bringing you festive red, white and blue recipes that will be perfect for the celebrations coming up.
Can you believe that the 4th of July is almost here? I have to say – July 4th is one of my very favorite holidays. I look forward to it almost like I look forward to Christmas and Thanksgiving. I love the family time together. I love the fireworks and the parades. And I always tear up when I hear those patriotic songs – thinking of all that has been sacrificed in years past and today so that I can enjoy the freedoms that we have. What a great occasion to celebrate!!
And what’s better to celebrate with than food? I’m going to be giving you all kinds of sweet ideas this week for your 4th of July celebrations. And the bonus is that most of the recipes I’ll be featuring are super easy! I have 6 days of recipes planned for you, and I wanted to do something fun, so on Friday, I’ll have a linky up where you can come and share some of your favorite red, white and blue recipes. So make sure you check out all the recipes this week, and share your own on Friday!
First up – everyone’s favorite treat – cake balls and cake pops. It seems like cake balls are all the rage these days. So I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to make them patriotic. Since cake pops are more about the cute factor than the taste to me, I made this version from a cake mix. But the great part about it is that you only need one cake to make both the red velvet and the blue velvet. I used the regular bottled red food coloring, but since they don’t make blue, I just used some Wilton paste coloring for the blue pops. While these are a little time consuming, they are super easy, and you know everyone will love them!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
Everyone’s favorite cake balls – in red, white and blue to celebrate July 4th!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon blue paste food color
- 1 tablespoon red liquid food color
- 8-ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- red, white and blue candy melts
- assorted sprinkles
- sucker sticks, if desired
- Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease the bottom and sides of 2 8×8-inch baking dishes.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs and cocoa on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides occasionally.
- Divide the batter evenly into 2 bowl. Add the blue food coloring paste to one and the red coloring to the second. Spread the blue cake batter in one prepared dish and the red cake batter in the second prepared cake dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool completely.
- Make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter and cream until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar until the desired sweetness and consistency.
- To make the cake balls: Crumble the blue velvet cake in one large bowl, and the red velvet cake in another large bowl. Divide the frosting evenly between the two bowls. Mix the cake and the frosting completely. (I think it’s easiest to do this with your hands!) Form the cake into balls and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Melt the candy melts and dip the cake balls in the melted candy melts. Immediately sprinkle with sprinkles, if desired.