I think as a food blogger, it is sometimes too easy to get caught up in trying the newest trend, or chasing after a unique recipe. I’ll admit that sometimes I overlook the simplest of recipes, or I don’t post about them, simply because they are so simple. Does someone need yet another recipe for taco night?
The answer is – yes.
I know that 95% of you reading aren’t food bloggers. You are just wanting dinner ideas. (Or dessert ideas. :)) And really, the simplest of recipes are usually the most popular. And it doesn’t get much more simple than this one!!
One of my husband’s favorite dinners is tostadas. If I tell him that is what we are having for dinner, his face seriously lights up – he loves them that much. We usually just stick to basic tostadas, with ground beef taco meat and all of the fixings, but one day, I decided to change things up a little bit.
This recipe is as simple as throwing some ingredients in a slow cooker. Let them cook together, and then all you have left to do is top your tostadas. Hands on time is probably 15 minutes – if you count the time it takes to cut up the veggies and grate the cheese.
Fast, easy and delicious. Just the way I like my recipes!!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tostada shells
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- desired toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro)
- In the bottom of a slow cooker, combine the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt. Stir in the vegetable oil and lime juice. Add the chicken, and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir to soak up the juices and spices.
- Top each tostada shell with equal amounts of the chicken mixture, then top with cheese and desired toppings.