Chocolate brownies have mint cookie pieces throughout them, and then are topped with a mint frosting in these Mint Cookies and Cream Brownies.
My husband and I are not the best planners when it comes to Christmas. And when I say not the best planners, it means that we usually wait until the week before Christmas to even do any shopping – and at that point, we are running around, just grabbing whatever we can find in the stores. It’s a good thing our kids are young and aren’t too picky about what they want. Or at least if they are, they are easily swayed into “wanting” something else.
It’s definitely not the best way to handle things. And every year, I promise myself that I will be more on top of it. I did order a few things ahead of time this year, but yep – waited until the last minute for the majority of the things. But as of last night, besides a gift my husband will pick up on his way home from work today, we are done. It may be less than a week until Christmas, but I guess this is better than Chrismtas Eve, right?? 😉
What I needed when I got home from shopping last night, though, was a big plate of these Mint Cookies and Cream Brownies. I think anyone that braves the stores this close to Christmas, and then comes home with a nearly empty bank account deserves a big plate of these brownies. I actually made these back in August, but it’s actually fitting that I waited until now to share them with you, because they are festive and perfect for the holiday season.
Now, mint brownies are quite popular around my parts. But these are a little bit different than the ones that were served at every function I went to back when I was single. (I tell ya – they really like mint brownies here!!) The base of this brownie is a little more tender, a little more cake-like than a dense, fudgy brownie. But it pairs so well with the mint cookies that run throughout them and the mint frosting. And while I’m normally a fudgy brownie kind of girl, these were a welcome and delicious change.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups chocolate syrup
- 1 cup flour
- 6 mint cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, chopped
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- Green food coloring, optional
- Additional crushed mint cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time. Add in the chocolate syrup, then the flour, stirring just until combined. Fold in the chopped cookies.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the brownies completely.
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and the powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the extract and the food coloring, if using. Frost the brownies with the frosting, then sprinkle with crushed cookies.
More Brownies You Need to Try: