Does your guacamole need a summer makeover? Try this different twist on guacamole – this Grilled Guacamole Stuffed Tortilla Recipe will be a hit of the backyard BBQ!
I feel like the same thing happens every year. The end of the summer starts to creep closer, and I all of a sudden freak out and feel like I have to make everything and anything summer related. The season doesn’t start with such urgency, but I definitely feel that urgency towards the end.
So this week is filled with summer recipes for those of you who still want to hold on to summer. I know we have a tendency to jump head-first into fall – and believe me, I love fall, too – but I’m not ready to let go of summer yet.
Today, it’s all about the grilled guacamole, served party-style. Do you remember the cookbook I reviewed a few weeks back, The Summer Table? Well, I’ve been kind of obsessed with it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I’m making all of the summer dishes right now. And, well – a cookbook full of summer recipes? Does it get any better?
Once I read through the cookbook and spotted this recipe for Grilled Guacamole Stuffed Tortillas, I knew I would love it.
I made these one afternoon, and my husband and I ended up eating so many of them that we weren’t even hungry for dinner. I’m pretty sure I just made sandwiches or something for the kids that night because we had stuffed ourselves silly. Because what’s not to love? All of the components of guacamole, plus some melty cheese, rolled inside a tortilla and grilled. I just used my grill pan because we ran out of propane and we hadn’t replaced it yet. But the grill pan worked just fine. These would be great to serve during a backyard bbq as well.
Even if you are ready to jump into fall, I’m guessing these Grilled Guacamole Stuffed Tortillas will keep you in the summer for just a little bit longer!
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion or half of a medium red onion
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (preferably yellow)
- 1 roma tomato
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 small (6-inch) flour tortillas
- juice from ½ lime
- ⅔ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Halve the avocados and remove the pits. Remove the skins and cut the flesh into thick slices. Cut the onion into thin half-moon rings. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters, and the roma tomato into chunks about the same size as the cherry tomato pieces.
- Lay the tortillas on a work surface and layer the avocados, onion, tomatoes, mozzarella and garlic. Squeeze the lime over the top and sprinkle with cilantro, salt and pepper. Sprinkle on a bit of hot sauce. Roll up the tortillas and secure with a toothpick.
- Heat a grill to medium-low. Grill the tortillas for about 3 minutes (it’s best if they are grilled over indirect heat), turning the rolls halfway through the cooking time. The cheese will be melted and the outsides of the tortilla slightly charred when they are done.
- Serve immediately.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!