Finished in 30 minutes, this easy Garlic and Herb Skillet Chicken has tons of flavor with very little effort. And the cleanup is easy, too!
I don’t know what I would have done if I would have married someone who had a completely different palate than I do. Granted, my husband and I definitely don’t necessarily love all of the same things, but generally, going out or making dinner isn’t a huge chore because neither of us are very picky. And we’ve both taught each other a few things, as well. I taught him the joy in a good dessert (he didn’t have much of a sweet tooth when we first met) and he taught me just how good Brussels sprouts are and how a perfectly cooked medium-rare steak is the best thing in the world. Food is one of our love languages.
And luckily, neither of us have ever seen the sense in holding back on the garlic on date night. Because garlic = heaven. But really, both of us are garlic lovers. I put it in just about everything, and never see a reason to not. In the words of Rachael Ray, two garlics cancel each other out anyway, right?
If you are a garlic lover like me, this Garlic and Herb Skillet Chicken is for you. Actually, even if you aren’t a garlic lover, you may fall in love with this recipe. Because the garlic isn’t strong or potent like it is when it’s raw. This recipe doesn’t cook it long enough to make it really sweet like roasted garlic, but it’s well on its way there. The garlic is definitely a lot more mellow. Mellow enough to eat the garlic straight out of the skillet. (Not that I would know or anything…)
This Garlic and Herb Skillet Chicken is a perfect weeknight dinner – it can be finished in 30 minutes. And by using chicken thighs, you take a lot of the guesswork out of cooking the chicken because you don’t have to worry so much about overcooking your chicken and ending up with dry chicken breasts. If you are a regular here you already know that I love using thighs over breasts simply because they are so much easier to cook.
This dish would make a great date night in supper (remember – 2 garlics cancel each other out!), but it’s also great for just any weeknight. The kids would love this recipe, too!
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary*
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh thyme*
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, then flip and cook the second side until browned. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the chicken from the skillet to a plate.
- Add the garlic and 2 tablespoons of chicken stock to the skillet. Return the skillet to the heat and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of chicken stock, the rosemary and the thyme. Add the chicken back to the pan in a single layer. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and reads 170º on an instant read thermometer, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken with chives before serving.
Recipe source: Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2016 Annual Recipes
SHOP THIS POST!
More Skillet Chicken Recipes:
Around the Web:
Skillet Chicken with Creamy Spinach Artichoke Sauce from Cooking Classy
Skillet Chicken with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce from Sally’s Baking Addiction
One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce from Little Spice Jar
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!